About Spirit Aid
Spirit Aid is a humanitarian relief organisation dedicated to alleviating the suffering of children and young people whose lives have been devastated by war, poverty, lack of opportunity or humanitarian crisis. Based in Glasgow, Scotland, we were founded in 2001 by our head of operations David Hayman, working across the world to reach children in need. We currently have operations running in Scotland, Palestine, Afghanistan and Malawi.
We live in an increasingly violent, unjust and frightening world. All over our planet there are ongoing wars and armed conflicts. We are destroying our planet faster than we can heal it. The gap between rich and poor is getting greater. Exploitation is increasing with slave labour and human trafficking. At the heart of all this are our children, the innocent victims of this world we have created.
- Every 2 seconds, a child dies from hunger.
- Every 17 seconds, a child dies from lack of Water.
- Every 30 seconds, a child dies from Malaria.
- We sell 2 million children into sex slavery every year.
- 20 million children are begging on the streets of our cities.
- In the UK 4 million children live below the poverty line.
- More and more children are admitted to hospital in the UK suffering from malnutrician.
- 17 million people in the UK have learning difficulties, many of them children.
- Each year 600,000 young people will graduate from university’s, college’s and schools yet only 40% of them will end up in employment.
- The largest employer of under 23 year old’s in the UK is ‘Macdonalds’.
We need your help.
(Head of Operations)